Thursday, March 26, 2009

In the Air to Arizona with Francois Robert

It was great to be back home with my family and friends! My flight out from Chicago to the Old Pueblo was enhanced by the chance seating arrangement next to the world famous photographer, Francois Robert and his wife Jane Gittings. We spoke for three hours on topics ranging from the art markets pulse, his career, the clients he's worked with( IBM, Crate and Barrel,Sigfried and Roy to name a few)and his journey into art book publishing. He asked me if I could make a "up-in-the-air-with-the-junior-birdman gesture,which I did, making him smile!
You can find his books at all major bookstores worldwide. They are, "Faces", and "Crosses", with another just published showing collections of the contents of womens purses. He showed me on his i-phone, photographs of a few of the photos in the book. His artwork allows the viewer to be a voyeur,of sorts. The purse contents were laid out much like an installation, showing unique value to oftentimes mundane objects, and shown collectively, reach into the soul of the carrier.
They were on their way to Tucson for a Gallery Opening and Reception at the Art's Eye Gallery on Grant Road. He's presenting his latest collection of work which he shot at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. He went on to describe some of the processes of preparing the shoot, and with many of the subjects being nocturnal, made for a unique studio environment.
They invited me to the reception,which I did attend, and I enjoyed seeing how shows are conducted in Tucson. The Gallery Director designed the show with visual accuity, and I especially enjoyed the vignettes they created. Lighting is an important element to seeing Francois's work, and because he prints on Fuji Crystal Archival paper, the luminosity is unreal! I purchased three images in shadowboxes, and am really looking forward to the day I receive them.
Upon leaving the Gallery, Francois thanked me for coming, and asked for my address to keep in touch. He said we would get together on the coast of Lake Michigan and he'd teach me how to photograph my jewelry. From his lips to God's ears, I'd be so honored!
You just never know who you're gonna meet...

No comments:

Post a Comment